Don't get me wrong- Target/Old Navy/Carter's can be life savers when dressing your kids. But sometimes, it's nice to switch it up and get a few more special pieces- especially when the holidays/family photo time rolls around, or you want to gift a new mom with something a bit more luxe. These independent boutiques are all great alternatives to shopping the mass retailers (although I love me some Nordstrom's here and there), and the best part is that you can find really different pieces that you definitely won't be seeing on every other child at school pickup.
1. Zimmerman Kids- Sheer Floral Ruffle heaven. Almost a reason to try again for a girl. ALMOST. gold paisley dress
Best For:If you spend your summers in the South of France and winters in St. Barths. Or, if you just love a bohemian, romantic vibe.
Sizes range from 1y-10y
2. Wee Mondine - When I found out that my sister was pregnant with a little girl, I immediately made a beeline to this site.
Best For: If you go for a minimalist/Scandinavian vibe with lots of neutrals. You won't find any baby blue or pink here!
Sizes range from baby-6y
3. Pink Chicken/Blue Rooster New York- Pink Chicken is the label for girls while Blue Rooster offers a boy's assortment. Admittedly, their boys selection is MUCH more limited than the girl's (sigh, #boymom)
Best For: The most adorable preppy-yet-bohemian prints
Sizes range from 3m-12y
4. Harlow Jade- A bell-bottom plaid overall. Need I say more?
Best For: Vintage shopping addicts.
Sizes range from 6m-8y depending on the item
5. June and January- This boutique offers super fun/colorful basics with a twist for basically the same prices you would pay at Baby Gap. If I had known about this brand when I had my babies, I would have ordered their knotted hats in every color!
Best For: Kids that just want to have fun with their styling choices
Sizes range from 0m-5y
6. Thumbeline- Part hipster, part fantasy (hello, prettiest organza fawn-printed tutu dress I have EVER laid eyes on), the assortment here is anything but ordinary.
Best For: A little of everything. Their styles range from geometric/hipster retro/whimsical prints to boho romantic cotton gauzes with embroidery- you definitely won't see these clothes on every child.
Sizes range from 2y-9y
7. Norman and Jules- Also a popular toyshop located in Brooklyn, this is a 1-stop shop for all things baby.
Best For: Special pieces with unusual, whimsical prints and a huge selection of wooden toys in true Brooklyn hipster fashion
Sizes range from baby-4y
8. 1212- Modern yet simple pieces that get also get a stamp of approval from Eva Chen and Brooklyn Blonde
Best For: When you want elevated basics in organic fabrics- perfect for gift-giving.
Sizes range from newborn-4T
Best For: When you want your child to still look stylish in their playclothes
Sizes range from 0m-7y
10. Maisonette- Founded by 2 ex-Vogue alums, this is actually a boutique agregator which aims to find the best children's 'stuff' from boutiques that you may not have found otherwise.
Best For: If you are a looking for elegant options with a slightly preppy aesthetic (think monogrammed pajamas)
Sizes range from baby- 0months all the way to 14y depending on the designer
11. Ultraviolet Kids- A girly line of basics done in super fun and playful prints, not to mention they utilize overruns of fabrics. Gotta love a brand with a green mission.
Best For: If you love basics with a modern twist.
Sizes range from 3m-10y
12. Oeuf- Super sweet and whimsical pieces in a you'll-want-to-buy-everything kind of way.
Best For: Those that love animal ears on all their hats and hooded sweaters (so basically, everyone)
Sizes range from 6m-6y