Holiday shopping for kids presents its own unique challenges. Most parents I know (myself included) would prefer some sort of experience such as a museum/zoo membership, movie tickets, swim classes, or even a trip. For those that prefer the old fashioned method of leaving a wrapped package under the tree, we scoured the web for the best gifts in each age category with a focus on toys that encourage imaginative play (and hopefully, some quiet time for mommy/daddy).
0-2 YearsEllie Fun Day .
2. Baby's first Celine (teether) from Lexy Pexy .
3. Sized perfectly for chubby little hands, We Can Too's baby crayons are just one of the nontoxic offerings in their artistic range.
4. The Grimm stacking tower from Land of Nod is proof that baby toys can be fun, stylish and minimal. .
5. It's never too early to start children on the path to financial success. This classic gift comes in additional colors at Tiffany.
6. The sweetest little rattle and keepsake doll all in one, crafted of organic bamboo from the Seed Factory .
7. The hardest part is trying to choose between all the adorable mobiles at Petite Pehr Design.
8. A book of names and faces to help LO keep their loved ones close even when they're not geographically close.
9. Heirloom quality rattles, keychains and flatware all made out of stainless steel from Kleynimals to replace the plastic versions that they never play with anyway!
10. Elly Lu crafts the sweetest stuffed animals that are also certified organic and non-toxic.
3-6 YearsTegu sets.
2. A non-toxic, pliable molding dough from Mary's Softdough will keep little hands busy for hours.
3. The hardest part about selecting a State Bag toddler backpack is choosing just one. Pick one up for yourself while you're at it.
4. Never get crippled by a rogue lego with this handy organizer from Swoop.
5. Available in every language from Arabic to Swahili and even Braille, these Uncle Goose blocks turn each set of blocks into a mini work of art and they are 100% made in the USA as well.
6. Pull-along toys were such a hit in my house and this wooden lace-up shoe from Merci Milo adds building nimbleness and dexterity to the mix. Perfect for the "I do it, mommy!" kid.
7. A genius idea- you can purchase themed gift sets or curate your own for any age (hello, hostess gift ideas?). Gifted & Present is a one-stop shop.
8. Help them conceptualize days/time with this magnet calendar from Melissa & Doug .
9. Step up their make-believe game with this seriously adorable apron set from seriously adorable Wee Mondine .
10. Are books ever a bad gift idea? This bedtime story is good when winding down the little one.
6-9 YearsBear & Bud book club that offers single book sets (complete with book, related craft kit, activity guide, and snack recipe) or monthly subscription options. Available for all age ranges.
2. A designated place for all their crafting, dining, studying. The Carolina table from Pottery Barn Kids even comes with 2 sets of legs to grow with them.
3. Bad weather will no longer deter playtime when you install a Solvej Swing in the house! Available in baby, toddler, special needs, and child sizes, these are constructed of the highest quality canvas and wood with durability in mind.
4. Pura's stainless steel water bottles are 100% free of plastic and certified NonToxic/MadeSafe.
5. Nurture their inner Einstein with this Scientific Explorer Kit.
6. When their decor taste evolves beyond Paw Patrol and Peppa Pig, this Oeuf pillow adds a sophisticated yet whimsical touch to any room.
7. Tried and true-- Legos have a cult following for a reason and are a great activity for both parents and children.
8. Santa would love to receive a thank you note from the super whimsical Mr. Boddington line.
9. Build Your Own Kaleidescope Kit from Fawn Shoppe .
10. An adorable take on the traditional car track. Build your own marble run from Rose and Rex .
1. With all the endless lessons on youtube to play just about any song you've heard in recent decades, this wood ukulele is the perfect gift for your little fledgling rockstar.
2. Journaling is so much chicer these days with this beautiful mint version from Barney's .
3. An imagination and this award winning Droid Inventor Kit will bring your kid's creations to life, and how cool is that?
4. The photo clip with string lights from Urban Outfitters lets them display their most treasured Instagram shots.
5. Sail and fly away at the same time with this super cool kite available from Made You Look .
6. Sometimes you just gotta fling and throw stuff. Make your own catapult kit at Norman & Jules .
7. A levitating Death Star bluetooth speaker- doesn't get much cooler than that!
8. Another fabulous subscription idea with categories for each age group, Kiwi Crate's 9+ category has either "Doodle" or "Tinker" themed activity boxes. Green Kid has a similar concept with a focus on sustainable/eco friendly materials but only goes up to age 10.
9. The Razor Electric Ripstick Caster Board comes complete with wireless remote to help control the skating action.
10. This beginner microscope by California-based, professional grade microscope supplier Amscope is just the right gift to encourage the budding scientist to explore the world around him up close.